Remedying Leaks in Restrooms and Labs
- All campus restrooms are inspected every 3 months for plumbing
leaks and related problems.
- Researchers and staff monitor for plumbing leaks in labs and janitorial closets, and
problems are addressed within three working days.
Rain water recovery
- Rain water that falls on the roof of Patterson Hall is captured in tanks
and used to water lawns and flowerbeds. This program is being expended
to other buildings on campus.
- Fin water – also known as condensation – is being recovered at 10
locations on campus and used in the campus chill water system. This
reduces the water demand and improves the quality of indoor air by
eliminating potential mold conditions from air handling unit drains.
- Water used to cool ice machines and walk-in coolers is being recycled
rather than going down the drain. This has led to a savings of more
than 1 million gallons a year.
- Water nozzles used in cooling towers were changed to high-distribution
nozzles, resulting in a more efficient use of water to cool buildings.