Sustainability: One day at a time, one person at a time
SMU engages in environmentally
conscious behavior through broad campus resource management programs,
recycling, student initiatives and green building construction as well as degree
programs, course offerings and research. The University's sustainability efforts
Students participate in a game of
Environmental Jeopardy as part of SMU's Sustainability Day.
- Aggressive trash recycling
programs and Dining Services practices that discourage waste.
- Energy and water management (including rainwater recovery).
- Park N’ Pony services that encourage mass transit through DART passes and
the Mustang Express shuttles.
- Constructing and renovating campus buildings to meet the high standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Engineering and Environmental Design (LEED) program.
- Encouraging student involvement in campus and community sustainability
through the Students for a Better Society and the Environmental Society. SBS
co-sponsors the successful “Barefoot on the Boulevard Music Festival” at the end
of Earth Week each spring.
- Pulling together faculty, staff and students through the SMU Sustainability
evaluate the needs of the university and provide suggestions and education for
improvements in sustainability and resource conservation.
- Membership in the U.S. Green Building Council since 2004 and the Green
Building Initiative since 2008, as well as in the
National Council for Science and the Environment.