Specific Steps on the Reaffirmation of Accreditation for SMU
The steps of the process for reaffirmation are the following:
- SMU will prepare, and present to The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS COC), a “compliance certification.” This is a document prepared by the university, containing the university’s detailed assessment of the extent to which it complies with the three categories of requirements: Core Requirements, Comprehensive Standards, and Federal Requirements. The compliance certification is submitted 15 months in advance of the scheduled reaffirmation. In SMU’s case, the submission date is September 10, 2010. All required elements of the report were submitted on time.
- SACS COC will conduct an off-site peer review based on the compliance certification. This will take place November 4-5, 2010.
- SMU will prepare and submit a “Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP).” This feature of the SACS COC reaffirmation process is a relatively new requirement. A QEP is a focused plan that SMU will develop to address, on a university-wide basis, a central theme (chosen by SMU) that will enhance SMU’s educational mission in an area affecting student learning outcomes. The QEP will be submitted six to eight weeks in advance of the on-site visit.
- SACS COC will conduct an on-site review with a team of peer reviewers. This will take place April 5-7, 2011.
- SACS COC will conduct its reaffirmation review using all the information gained in the process. This will take place between December 3-6, 2011.