SMU | ResearchSMU | Research

Proposal Info

Budget Change Instructions

Before processing a Budget Change Request form, please contact your Grant/Contract Specialist (GCS) for assistance. Your GCS will work with you to decide if an official BCR is required. The GCS will also be able to assist you with determining if additional changes are necessary by asking you a series of questions.

SMU sponsored research projects are designated as “E” for “Expanded” or “R” for “Restricted.” Depending on the change(s) that you are requesting to make on your budget this request may or may not need agency approval. Below are some examples of budget changes that will require agency approval on Expanded and Restricted projects:
  • Changes in the scope or the objective of the program
  • Change in the key personnel specified in the proposal or award document
  • The absence for more than three months, or a 25% reduction in time devoted to the project, by the approved project director or principal investigator
  • The need for additional Federal funding
  • Any sub-award, transfer, or contracting out of substantive program performance under an award, unless described in the application and funded in the approved awards
  • Rearrangements/Alterations in excess of $25,000 (construction projects)
  • Adjustments to required approved cost sharing commitments
  • Changes to budgeted amounts for subcontracts
  • Adding of foreign travel to the project budget
  • Purchase of capital equipment (Note: Please defer to agency guidelines for instructions on how to handle capital equipment purchases)
At any time during the period of performance of your award, you can meet with your assigned GCS to review your budget and obtain guidance on how to proceed with an official BCR if necessary.