The Blanton Student Observatory was gifted by Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Blanton in
1934. It was originally constructed on the land where the Fondren Science
Building now sits. It was moved between 1945 and 1946 to its present
location behind Dallas Hall, “high on the hilltop.” When the observatory was
built, the campus and surrounding neighborhood was much darker at night
making it a perfect location for late-night Astronomy lessons.
Despite the lit streets nearby, the observatory is still used by the Physics
and Geology departments. The Blanton Student Observatory has a rotating roof
that opens and houses a telescope built in 1910. The telescope is still in
excellent working condition and on clear, dry nights students can use it to
watch the night skies.