Frequently Asked Questions
How long is each appointment? How frequently do I need to see the dietitian?
- Initial assessments are one-hour long and follow-up visits are 30 minutes. Typically follow-up visits are scheduled once monthly. However, in certain situations, clients may wish to follow up more frequently. Frequency of visits is determined during the initial visit.
What is involved in the assessment?
- An one-hour initial assessment allows the dietitian a chance to evaluate current eating habits, review current nutrition complaints, assess any medical issues if a doctor has referred for nutrition counseling, and provide education on these issues.
Follow up appointments?
- Follow-up appointments are critical for creating lifelong habits. During the follow-up visit, the dietitian will review the current nutrition status and help troubleshoot any problem areas. Studies have shown that people who regularly follow up with their dietitian are more likely to adopt permanent healthier eating habits and lasting behavior change.
What do I need to bring?
- For your first visit, please print and complete all of the documents listed on the forms page and bring them to your initial appointment. Please be sure to download, print, and fill out these documents before seeing the dietitian for the initial visit. Failure to complete these documents will result in rescheduling of your appointment and a $20 rescheduling fee.
- Please bring with you to your initial appointment any recent blood test results, procedure results, or relevant chart notes from your doctor's office. It is very helpful for the dietitian to to have any medical notes/results possible when seeing clients.
I am currently being treated by a medical doctor for a medical problem. How does Karin work within this team?
- Karin provides medical nutrition therapy in conjunction with care given by a primary care physician. Karin’s services are not a substitute for attention by a medical doctor (MD). Karin routinely shares information regarding nutrition counseling visits with primary care doctors and other physicians. Please fill out the Authorization for release of information form in order for Karin to share files with your doctor or therapist.
What are your hours?
- Services are provided by appointment only. Please call 214-768-2277 to schedule an appointment.
Who can use our services?
- This service is FREE to students, faculty, and staff. Note: This service is provided primarily for students. There are limited appointments available for faculty and staff. Student appointment requests will take precedence.
Community members may also use this service for reduced fee. Please refer to the Appointment and Policies page for rates.
What if I have to cancel my appointment?
- Please call 214-768-2277 as soon as possible. Per the policies, there is a $20 cancellation fee if the appointment is cancelled within 12 hours of the scheduled time.
Advice from a Registered Dietitian is NOT a substitute for diagnosis by a medical doctor (MD). For certain conditions, Karin may refer clients to an MD for further evaluation. All adults should follow up with their primary physician at least annually for evaluation.