Hilltop Sports Camp Employment
General Counselor Information
Counselors are responsible for the safe and enjoyable participation of campers in all activities. Counselors should at all times act as positive role models and be enthusiastic and supportive of the instructors and camp administrative staff. Counselors are expected to maintain open lines of communications with all summer camp staff and work in a cooperative manner with other counselors in fulfilling roles and duties.
May 30, 2013 - June 28, 2013. Counselors will be responsible for fulfilling their employment commitment depending on the position offered and accepted. Counselors will be hired on a full-day (8:45am-3:45pm), morning half-day (7:15am-12:30pm), or afternoon half-day (12:15-5:30pm) basis, with priority given to those with full-day availability.
- Model good-sportsmanship in sport-related activities through enthusiastic, non-competitive participation and support.
- Help out other instructors and counselors to maintain guidance during each activity.
- Model all skills in all activities through participation or working with small groups in the case a Specialty Counselor is present.
- Lead group from one activity to another in an orderly matter inside and outside the facility.
- Keep accurate attendance records, incident and accident reports. Report them immediately to the Hilltop Camp Director.
- Supervise lunch as well as snacks and activities to ensure cleanliness of the area.
- Interact and discuss camper’s participation, performance, and behavior with parents in a professional manner.
- Attend mandatory staff training on May 30-31, 2013. Be available for all camp sessions from June
3, 2013 through June 28, 2013.
- Attend weekly staff meetings during camp sessions.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the camp activity and storage area.
- Keep the campers you are responsible for under constant supervision. Perform head counts.
- Monitor recreational activities to ensure safety and respond as trained in the case of an emergency.
- Be aware of general expectations for participation in all SMU Recreational Sports program areas including Fitness, Outdoor Adventure, Intramurals, and Aquatics.
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for facilitating and supervising Before Care activities.
- Maintain safety procedures for check-in of campers.
- Assist with set-up and facilitation of program area activities.
- Supervise morning snack and lunch activities. Maintain safety procedures for on-campus daily lunch field trip.
- Responsible for facilitating and supervising After Care activities.
- Maintain safety procedures for check-out of campers.
- Assist with clean-up of afternoon activities.
- Supervise campers in swimming area and in locker room before and after afternoon swimming.
- Supervise afternoon snack and facilitate craft activities.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and pass a background check.
- CPR and First Aid certified before June 4, 2013.
- At least 16 years of age by June 4, 2013.
- Have completed a minimum of one year of college.
- Experience working with children in a recreational setting.
- Current SMU student or alumni.
- Ability to swim at least 25 yards.
- Experience working with one or more specific SMU Recreational Sports Program Areas including Fitness, Aquatics, Intramurals, or Outdoor Adventure
General Counselors will be paid a rate of up to $15.00 per hour depending on qualifications.
Junior Counselor Information
Being accepted as a Junior Counselor at Hilltop Sports Camp is a privilege,
and all applicants may not be accepted. Positions will be offered based on
experience working with children, availability, and an in-person interview. All
Junior Counselors must be 14 years of age before the first day of camp.
Junior Counselors are responsible for assisting the General Counselors with
providing a safe and enjoyable experience for campers in all activities. Junior
Counselors should act as positive role models and be enthusiastic and supportive
of the General Counselors, instructors, and camp administrative staff.
June 1, 2013 - June 28, 2013. Junior Counselors are expected to be
available for at least 2 of the 4 sessions. Junior Counselors will be
expected to fulfill their time commitment depending on the agreed upon
schedule at the beginning of the summer.
A fee of $50 per session is required for participation in this program.
Applications must be turned in by May 1, 2013.
- At least 14 years of age by June 4, 2013.
- Experience working with children.
- Ability to swim at least 25 yards.
- Applications must be turned in by May 1, 2013.
For additional information, please contact Lindsey Gavlick,