(Note: all students receive a stipend and waiver of all tuition and fees for the first four years, pending satisfactory performance)
Tuition: $0 (normally $1230 per credit hour)
Fees: $0 (normally $146 per credit hour)
All students receive a Teaching Assistantship, which is based on a contract to work on the average of 20 hours per week teaching and supervising undergraduate students. The current amount of the RA is $16,000 per year, paid across 26 installments. The TA is provided for four years, pending satisfactory performance. Students also receive a tuition and fee waiver for that four-year period. Students are also encouraged to seek forms of support to reduce teaching requirements and to obtain funding for a fifth year of study. In addition, many faculty are able to provide partial or full support for graduate students through grant-funded research assistantship.
Conditions for accepting the Teaching Assistantship are:
- During the term of this appointment, you may not seek or accept other part-time or full-time employment at SMU or outside of the university without permission of the Chair of the Department of Psychology and the Dean of Dedman College.
- The assistantship will be renewed for the next academic year (for up to four years) pending satisfactory completion of the current year’s assistantship.
- The assistantship can be discontinued, at any time, if there is not satisfactory performance
- Satisfactory performance involves meeting several important expectations:
o Attending regular meetings as scheduled by your Faculty Advisor.
o Satisfactorily completing research duties/responsibilities assigned by your Faculty Advisor.
o Satisfactory performance in other program requirements (e.g., coursework).
o Attending all departmental colloquia and research seminars.
Applicants to the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program must submit the following:
- Completed application form
- GRE scores for the general test
- One official transcript from each institution attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Application fee ($75)
- Personal statement
- TOEFL scores (if applicable)
The personal statement should include the applicant's professional interests, graduate school goals, career goals, research experience (as well as other pertinent experience), and the names of two faculty members with whom they would like to work. Foreign applicants who do not have a degree from an English-language institution must also take the TOEFL exam. These materials are to be mailed to:
Office of Research & Graduate Studies
PO Box 750240
Dallas, TX 75275-0240
The deadline for submitting application materials is December 1st to be considered for the following Fall Semester. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
SMU requires a $75 application fee payable to SMU to process the application.