Policies and Procedures for Approval of Academic Changes
SMU encourages creativity and innovation in curricular development. For curricular or academic program changes, notice and approval beyond the initiating School are often necessary. The purpose of this page is to give information, forms, and contacts for these processes.
Process for Curricular Change
- SMU’s Process for Initiation and Approval of Curricular Changes can be downloaded here.
- If the curricular or program change is not a new major, a new academic certificate, minor or a new degree program, you might have questions about what sort of procedure applies or what forms, if any, are necessary. Please feel free to contact Linda Eads, Associate Provost, email@example.com, telephone: (214)768-2816.
- After a department and School have approved a proposal for a new major, academic certificate, or degree program, the proposal needs to be approved by the Office of the Provost, the Board of Trustees, and, in some cases, by SACS. The Educational Programs Committee (EPC) is the university-wide committee that is charged with advising the Provost on educational programs. You can contact the EPC by emailing or calling Linda Eads, Associate Provost, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: (214)768-2816.
- For the official Policy Statement on the Discontinuation of an Academic Program, please see University Policy Manual 6.17.
Forms and Deadline
- Changes to course prefixes, and changes to the curriculum of existing programs, can have university-wide implications, and thus should be submitted to the Office of the Provost by February 1 of the calendar year in which the change is to become effective for the Fall semester.
- You can download the forms required for the submission of new majors, academic certificates, minors or new degree programs. If you have questions about these forms or the information they require, please feel free to contact Linda Eads, Associate Provost by email at email@example.com. You will need:
Issues of Substantive Change
- In addition to approval by the Office of the Provost and the SMU Board of Trustees, notice and pre-approval by our accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS) are necessary for any degree program or other change that constitutes a “substantive change.” Issues of substantive change require significant time and preparation so please plan at least a year or more in advance.
- For the official Policy on Substantive Change from SACS, download here.
- For questions relating to SACS policies, procedures and guidelines contact Patty Alvey, Director of Assessment & Accreditation, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: (214)768-4519.
Contacting the EPC:
Linda Eads, Associate Provost, email@example.com
Questions relating to SACS policies, procedures and guidelines:
Patty Alvey, Director of Assessment & Accreditation, firstname.lastname@example.org