- Students may waitlist a class via Access.SMU when the box under the OK
to Waitlist column on the Add Classes page is available for a particular
- Students are not able to waitlist more than six hours and cannot exceed
maximum unit load of 18 hours. The 18-hour limit is a combination of
enrolled hours and waitlisted hours.
- When the OK to Waitlist box is checked and the transaction is submitted,
students who are successfully added to a Wait List will see a
Success/Message link under the Add Status column for the waitlisted class.
This link contains the student’s Wait List Position Number. This number is
updated each time the Wait List process is run and is also accessible on the
View My Class Schedule page.
- Students on the waitlist are not guaranteed enrollment in the waitlisted
class. Successful enrollment depends on space availability and meeting class
- Students are not able to waitlist multiple sections of the same class or
waitlist an alternate section of a class in which they are currently
- Students should not waitlist classes that conflict with classes in which
they are currently enrolled as they will never move from the waitlist if
space becomes available due to the scheduling conflict.
- Students should carefully check class restrictions before wait listing a
class. Failure to meet class restrictions will prevent students from
being able to move from the waitlist.
- The Wait List process, which moves students from “Waiting” to
“Enrollment” status, will run beginning the first day of Continuing
The process will run daily. Students’ moving
from the Wait List to Enrollment in a class depends largely on space
availability and the student’s ability to meet all class requirements.
- E-mail notification will be sent to students successfully moved from the
Wait List to Enrollment in a waitlisted class. In accordance to University
policy the e-mail notification will be sent to the student’s campus e-mail
address only. There is no notification sent to students who do not move from
the waitlist due to schedule conflicts and/or not meeting class
- Students may add themselves to the waitlist through the fourth day of
classes (Fall/Spring terms only). Students may add themselves to the
waitlist through the day before the first day of classes (Summer term only).
The waitlist process will run through the Add/Drop/Enrollment period (fifth
class day) for the Fall/Spring terms. The waitlist process will run
through the first day of classes during the Summer term. The waitlist will
be purged on the sixth class day during Fall/Spring. The waitlist will
be purged on the second class day during the Summer. This process removes
all remaining students from the waitlist and waitlisted classes will no
longer appear on student schedules.