What Are You Doing This Summer?
SMU’s Counseling and Testing
Center recently hosted a program – “What Are You Doing This
Summer?” – that offered students suggestions on how to make the transition from campus life to living at
home again or moving into the real world after graduation.
Here are tips to
ease the transition:
- Have a family discussion of expectations over the summer: Will a curfew be enforced? Will the student be expected to pitch in with household chores?
- Compromise: Part of being an adult is practicing this key part of relationships.
- Show respect: Treat parents with the same amount of courtesy you show other roommates. Parents will treat you more like an adult.
- Appreciate parents’ concern: They’re worried about your safety and well-being.
- Spend quality time with parents. Make time for them; it’s crucial in forming adult relationships.
# # #