Information for Students Displaced by Katrina

SMU has reached capacity in assisting students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. The following services and programs are available to the more than 200 students now enrolled at SMU.

Counseling and Testing Center

Students suffering from stress or anxiety in Katrina's aftermath should go to SMU's Counseling and Testing Center on the second floor of the Health Center (6211 Bishop Blvd.) between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays, call 214-768-2211, or check Managing Traumatic Stress: After Hurricane Katrina on the center's website.

Family Weekend

SMU Family Weekend is Sept. 23 - 25
You can register online at until Thursday, Sept.15
After the 15th, tickes to individual events may be purchased while they last at the Mane Desk of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center

Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center

SMUís Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center provides undergraduates with academic support and guidance to help them become more independent, self-confident, and efficient learners, and to succeed at any level of the undergraduate curriculum.  Two of our services may be of special relevance to undergraduate students visiting from New Orleans area universities:

Memorial Health Center

Visiting students may use all services provided by the Memorial Health Center
Click for more information

SMU Libraries

  • Central University Libraries (CUL) will extend library services to visiting faculty and students from universities and colleges in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama who are displaced by the destruction from Hurricane Katrina.
    • If SMU faculty are contacted or know of colleagues or students from these institutions who have relocated in the DFW area and are in need of library research material or services, please share this information or have them contact the CUL Access Services Librarian at 214 768 1123.
    • If they have their institutional ID, this can serve as identification for a CUL Research (faculty and graduate student) or Guest Borrower Card (for undergraduate).
    • If they have no formal institutional identification, a memo or email from a SMU faculty member will serve as introduction.
    • Applicants should come in person to the Fondren Library Center to receive their library card.
  • Faculty and graduate students will be eligible for a CUL Research Card that provides check out of items for 120 days. Interlibrary Loan services will be extended to these visiting faculty and graduate students. Access to the libraries electronic resources will also be available to them.
  • Undergraduate students will be eligible for a CUL Guest Borrower Card that provides check out of 10 items for 3 weeks. If students feel they need additional library materials though interlibrary loan, they can consult with a CUL Librarian who can help them process the ILL request.
  • Central University Libraries consist of Fondren Library Center, Hamon Arts Library, Institute for the Study of Earth and Man, The Norwick Center for Media and Instructional Materials and the DeGolyer Library.
  • Visiting faculty and students are welcome to use the resources in the Business Information Center.
  • Bridwell Theology Library will honor the CUL Research Card for check out of materials.
  • All faculty, staff, and students who present a current ID from law schools located in geographic areas affected by hurricane Katrina may enter the Underwood Law Library during all hours of operation. Non-law school personnel who wish to access the Underwood Law Library may do so during the libraryís public hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. until 8 p.m., and Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. Visitors are welcome to consult and copy materials in the Underwood Law Library collections and may use their laptop computers to access the Internet via the Law Libraryís wireless network. Please direct questions concerning access to the Law Library and use of its resources to Gregory Ivy, Associate Director, 214-768-1829,

Federal Work Study

  • Visiting students may be eligible to receive FWS at SMU for the Fall 2005 semester.
  • In an effort to assist visiting students who have enrolled at SMU and may have qualified for FWS at their home institution, students will be asked to complete and sign an internal form along with retrieving FAFSA information in order to be considered for immediate eligibility at SMU.
  • What is Work-Study?
    • "Work-Study" is a type of need-based financial aid. It is an award that is different from others in that it is never applied to your student account.
    • When you receive a work-study award, the money awarded is set aside to help the University pay you throughout the year. A unique federal aid program, a work-study award is a partnership between the University and the federal government.

Graduate Business Students

SMU's Cox School of Business is accepting graduate business students from Tulane University, University of New Orleans, and Loyola University as visiting students for Fall 2005, Module B courses.  Students interested in taking graduate business courses at SMU will be allowed to do so on a space available basis during Module B which begins on Monday, Oct. 17. More information

Loyola and Tulane Law Students

In response to the tragedy associated with Hurricane Katrina, SMU's Dedman School of Law will consider applications from 2nd and 3rd-year law students from Tulane University and Loyola University from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. This one-time admission for a limited number of special visiting students will apply to the fall 2005 semester. Interested students should log on to the special link on the law school website ( for more specific information and a special application form, or contact the SMU Law School Admissions Office via email ( or telephone (214-768-2550).


Individual campus ministries are providing housing and collecting funds and supplies for relief shelters in Dallas. For updated information, contact Judy Henneberger at 214-768-4505.


SMUís Department of Human Resources is encouraging hurricane victims who have relocated to Dallas to visit for employment opportunities.

Other Information

Students will pay tuition and fees to their home university.

SMU will consult with the leadership of affected universities to work out other details of assistance.

Call 214-768-2058 for general information and to ask questions about enrollment.