MUSTANG CLUB FAQs|
What is the Mustang Club?
The Mustang Club is a non-profit organization that raises private funds to support SMU's 17 intercollegiate athletic programs. The primary objective of the Mustang Club is to provide the necessary resources so that each of our student-athletes may have a "world-class" academic and athletic experience at SMU. In order to provide this experience, Mustang Club funds are used directly for the rising costs of recruiting budgets, team travel, facility enhancements, and other operating expenses associated with an NCAA Division I athletic program.
Why support the Mustang Club?
- A strong conviction about scholarship and program support for SMU student-athletes.
- An appreciation for the University and its image on both the local and national level.
- An investment. A donation to the Mustang Club is an investment not only in the university, but in the development of our next generation of talented leaders. It is an “investment with impact” in both SMU and Mustang Athletics.
- Fun. A donation to the Mustang Club allows not only fellowship and social engagement opportunities, but also great fulfillment in knowing you have helped SMU Athletics achieve the top levels of success in all areas.
- Benefits. With the impact of your philanthropic spirit as a guiding reason to support the Mustang Club, there are also tangible benefits associated with your donation. Additionally, many donation levels come with a tax benefit (consult your tax advisor for specific details).
- Enhanced Program Operations . In today’s competitive intercollegiate athletic environment, resources are precious and acquisition is competitive. Mustang Club gifts are invested directly back into our 17 sports programs, providing our coaches an edge in improving the competitive environment of their program – whether it is enhanced recruiting efforts, increased operational dollars for team travel and equipment, or other identified program needs.
In order to keep pace with other institutions we compete with for elite status, the need to maintain, upgrade, and/or expand our athletic footprint is crucial. There are always unbudgeted and unanticipated expenses associated with providing our student-athletes the best competitive experience possible. Without Mustang Club donations, these opportunities are not possible.
Why are contributions needed?
The athletic program at Southern Methodist University is required to be self-supporting. No state dollars go to athletic programs in Texas. We currently sponsor 17 varsity sports representing over 400 student-athletes. We depend on funds generated by sponsorships, gate receipts, game guarantees, and private donations to support Mustang Athletics.
This is where the Mustang Club plays a vital role. Mustang Club funds provide the necessary support to supplement the athletic department's other forms of external revenue.
What are the benefits of donating to the MUSTANG CLUB?
In addition to the satisfaction of making a difference in the lives of SMU student-athletes, there are tangible benefits, depending on level that Mustang Club members receive on an annual basis. Such benefits include: ability to purchase reserved parking, home and away football ticket priorities, and Mustang Club hospitality.
Can I use a corporate matching gift to increase my contribution?
Yes, matching gifts are encouraged by the Mustang Club and allows for an increase in your contribution. Please see your employer’s Human Resource office to ensure they will match to the Mustang Club. Please present all pertinent paper work to the Mustang Club office.
How are away game, bowl, and post-season tickets assigned?
Tickets for away, bowl, and conference championship games are allocated by the Priority Points System levels of giving and priority within each level by the Mustang Club Office.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Tax Deduction – Contributions to the Mustang Club that include an option to purchase tickets are deductible at 80%. Further benefits also may be taxed. For 100% deductibility, you must decline your right to benefits at the time you make your gift. Please consult your tax advisor.