Library Borrowing Privileges
Library borrowing privileges are a benefit at the Associate level and above. These privileges pertain to books only. Access to the Internet and some computer databases is limited to current SMU students, faculty and staff only.
The fair market value of the library borrowing privileges has been determined to be $50. Therefore, all contributions in excess of that amount are tax deductible. Your gift is fully deductible if you choose to decline borrowing privileges, as long as you notify us in writing.
- General Information
- Your membership in Friends of the SMU Libraries, Colophon, allows you to check out books from the circulating collections. No more than ten (10) books may be checked out at any one time. The loan period is 3 weeks for most materials. Due to heavy use by students and faculty, your card does not entitle you to special services such as mediated searches for online databases, recall or hold services, or interlibrary loan.
- Your Friends library card is non-transferable and cannot be used by anyone other than the adult(s) named on the card.
- To help secure the safety of the SMU community, the Fondren Library Center is reserved for the use of current SMU Students, Faculty and Staff after 10pm. Library Security Officers ask patrons to provide SMU IDs for verification from 9pm to closing.
- Overdue Materials
- Friends are responsible for knowing when each item is due for return. Renewal should be requested in person before the due date. The date-due will be stamped on the inside of the book's back cover or printed on a transaction tape inserted between the pages as a bookmark.
- Fines accrue at the rate of $1.00 per day, per item, to a maximum of $30.00 per item. If a Central University Libraries item is not returned or renewed within thirty (30) days, the borrower will be billed a replacement cost of $50.00 and a $25.00 processing fee, in addition to the $30.00 fine. If a book is returned after billing, the cost of the book is credited if a replacement has not been ordered, but the processing charge and accumulated fines must be paid.
- Set replacement costs for books may vary among the different campus libraries - these may change from year to year.
- The SMU libraries reserve the right to revoke the borrowing privileges of anyone who does not comply with the rules stated above.
- For further information, obtain the red brochure Circulation Policies - Guest Borrowers at any Central University Libraries information desk or call the Friends Office at 214-768-3225.