SMU respects the intellectual property rights of others and prohibits uploading to SMU on iTunes U any content that violates another party's intellectual property rights.
iTunes U Usage
All usage of iTunes U must conform to SMU's policies, including but not limited to:
- Intellectual Property Policy of SMU 12.1
- Copyright Policy 12.2
- Computing and Communications Acceptable Use Policy 12.3
- Public Affairs' Official Web Use Policies
If you believe that your intellectual property rights have been violated or that any content on SMU on iTunes U violates SMU's Computing and Communications Acceptable Use Policy, please notify SMU's Office of Legal Affairs (214-768-3233).
General guidelines on intellectual property
For general guidelines on intellectual property, the following are useful starting points for content creators and departmental iTunes U administrators:
- Apple Education Copyright Overview
and Fair Use (Stanford University Libraries)
System Crash Course in Copyright
If you can answer "Yes"
If you can answer "Yes" to the following questions, your materials should be suitable for iTunes U:
- The material is currently hosted by you or your department on an SMU public website.
- All content, including any music, graphics or other media, is original work created by SMU faculty, staff or students who have given written permission for such use.
- If the intellectual property of others is included, you have the appropriate written licenses or written permission from all copyright owners, including guest speakers on file.
- The material is not offensive, libelous or otherwise in violation of SMU's Computing and Communications Acceptable Use Policy.
If you have questions about copyright, please contact Legal Affairs (214-768-3233) before uploading to iTunes U.
By posting content, you certify that you have complied with all University policies and accept responsibility for such content.