Our Responsibilities to Clients
As a client of Counseling and Psychiatric Services, you have certain assurances:
- ADHERENCE TO STANDARDS of the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association, requiring metal health professionals to:
- Work only within the limits of their expertise and competence levels
- Safeguard information obtained from interviews, testing or consultation
- Inform clients of any aspects of the potential client/mental health professional relationship likely to influence the client’s decision to enter or continue treatment (recording the interview, possible value/role conflicts, etc)
- Ensure test results are interpreted clearly and accurately by qualified persons, and used in responsible ways
- Protect the welfare and dignity of clients they serve at all times
- CONFIDENTIALITY: Information obtained in CAPS sessions or in written form through testing will not be disclosed to any outside agency without your written permission except when required by law.
- RESPECT: The professional can be expected to respect you as a human being and convey this respect by:
- Keeping appointments or contacting you if a change is necessary
- Giving you complete attention during sessions
- Avoiding interruptions during sessions
- Providing the most effective counseling possible
- PROMPT SERVICE: A session is scheduled soon after you call or come by to make an appointment. However, as the school year progresses, a delay may occur. Community referrals will be provided if they represent the most appropriate and best treatment option.
- NEGOTIATION: Frequency, number of sessions, goals, type of counseling treatment will be negotiated between you and your professional.
- DURATION OF COUNSELING: Since the Center serves a large on-campus population, most counseling is on a short-term basis. However, individual student needs and resources are considered. If the needs of the student exceed the resources of the Center, appropriate referrals in the community will be furnished. Duration of Psychiatric Services will be individually determined.
- COST: Counseling and Psychiatric Services are free to SMU
- EVALUATION: During the counseling/treatment process, you may periodically discuss your progress and review your goals with your professional.
- QUESTIONS: If you have questions/suggestions about the approach being used, discuss these concerns with your professional. If you feel suggestions are inappropriate, you may refuse to accept them.
Our purpose is to serve you. In order to provide the best possible services, we may exercise certain options in the course of the counseling/psychiatric treatment process such as:
- SEEKING CONSULTATION WITH OTHER PROFESSIONALS: Although information will not be released to outside agencies without your written permission, your professional may confer with other professionals within CAPS.
- TERMINATING OR REFERRAL TO OTHER PROFESSIONALS: When we feel our services are not or will not be appropriate, we may terminate counseling/treatment or refer you to a more appropriate agency. We will discuss any such changes with you before they take place.