The Column: A Publication of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Jump to Current Issues
To provide the constituencies and partners of the fraternity and sorority community at Southern Methodist University with local and national information.
is a electronic newsletter compiled by the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life and published on a biweekly basis. Contained within, one might find:
- Information on Fraternity and Sorority Events
- Information on Campus and Community Events
- Information on National news related to fraternities and sororities
- Editorials, Opinions and Dialogues*
- Resources to assist undergraduates and constituents in managing and elevating their fraternities and sororities
- Information regarding services of local or national vendors**
- Random facts, light-hearted humor and a weekly quote
*Some content may reflect the opinions of the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life and some may not. The Column
is a non-partisan newsletter that presents information on a myriad of subjects. However, the editor does reserve the right to include disclaimers relative to certain content as well as decline submissions should the content be questionable or in poor taste.
**Information included in The Column
is provided to assist chapters in discovering the various services and vendors available to them. The Department of
Fraternity and Sorority Life does not recommend the use of vendors or businesses through this vehicle. All chapters are encouraged to explore a wide-range of options when doing business or making purchasing decisions.
- The Column will not exceed two pages unless circumstances require it. This is at the discretion of the editor.
- Information/articles should not succeed 100 words.
- Information/articles are defined as short updates related to programs, events, services or resources.
- The editor considers all submissions for The Column. It is at his/her discretion that the article will/will not be published. The editor reserves the right to edit content for space purposes.
- All on-campus constituencies and partners may submit information/articles to The Column at no charge to themselves or their department.
- Off-campus vendors or businesses may submit information/articles to The Column. The cost for submission is $25 per issue. All checks should be addressed to "SMU Fraternity and Sorority Life."
The Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life must receive payment before the article/information is published. All other guidelines apply to "paid submissions" as do "un-paid submissions."
- All articles/information should be submitted two weeks prior to the desired publication date. Any information/article provided less than two weeks before an edition may be considered but with no guarantees due to space.
- Download the Article
- Email your Article Submission Form to
November 29, 2009
October 20, 2009
October 8, 2009
September 24, 2009
September 14, 2009
July 1, 2009
May 19, 2009