Panhellenic Recruitment Eligibility
The SMU Panhellenic's minimum requirements for joining a sorority are:
- Complete and pass at least 12 units at SMU with a 2.500 GPA in the semester prior to joining
- Maintain a 2.500 cumulative GPA*
- Must not be on disciplinary probation or higher any point during the semester prior to recruitment
- Must register online with the SMU Panhellenic Council **
- Attend the 3 mandatory meetings and Panhellenic Preview in the Fall Semester.
- Attend Orientation & all recruitment events the week of recruitment.
It is the responsibility of the Potential Member to make all necessary travel arrangements to return for orientation on Sunday, January 13, 2013. We can not make exceptions to the policy.
The Fraternal Experience
Belonging as a member of a fraternity or sorority is a social experience based on the fundamental right of a free people to form voluntary associations. It is one of the enrichments of college life. Any person who wants the fraternity experience will find it possible to belong on most campuses today. Fraternity membership is a social experience arrived at by mutual choice and selection and is by invitation.
Fraternities and sororities exist because they:
- Provide a good democratic experience.
- Give value beyond college years.
- Create, through their ideals, an ever-widening circle of service beyond membership.
- Develop the individual's potential through leadership opportunities and group effort.
- Fill the need to belong.
Fraternities and sororities continue because:
- Young men and women feel a continuing need to belong.
- Parents appreciate fraternity values and standards and cooperate to make membership possible.
- College administrators, recognizing the values of fraternities and sororities, continue to welcome them on their campuses and to invite them to establish new chapters.
*Be aware: Some chapters have higher standards than SMU Panhellenic. Typically, those range between a 2.5 and a 3.0 overall and semester GPAs.
**It is not necessary to register with your hometown Alumnae Panhellenic. These groups may assist with the recommendation process but not the registration process.
If they have deadlines, they should communicate these with you. We do not keep
record of this information.