You have been diagnosed with the flu . . . now what?
The SMU Memorial Health Center is providing the following guidelines to those who have been diagnosed with the flu:
- Take either your Relenza or Tamiflu twice a day to shorten the duration of illness. Take a decongestant to treat your congestion and drainage. For fever, alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol every 3 hours. Increase your fluid intake.
- You are very contagious while you have a fever. Please stay home. E-mail your professors and let them know you have the flu. You may not go back to class or other gatherings until you have not had fever (temp < 100.5°) for 24 hours without taking ibuprofen or Tylenol.
- If you have a meal plan, give your friend or roommate your sanitized SMU ID card for cafeteria meals to go. The cafeteria will box a meal up for you and your friend can deliver it back to you. You may not eat in the dining hall until you have been fever-free for 24 hours.
- If you leave your room, please wear a mask to prevent the spread on campus.
- If you get worse after being on the medication for 3 or 4 days, please go back to the Health Center. The medical staff wants to recheck your lungs to make sure that you have not developed a secondary infection.
# # #