The Student Employment Office (SEO) partners with the Hegi Family Career Center, and faculty, the community, and University departments to create employment opportunities for students. Over 1,400 students work on campus at SMU throughout the course of each year, in positions all across campus such as: office clerks, library clerks, dining hall and coffee shop help, research assistants for faculty members, website designers, intramurals referees, graders, lifeguards and more.
At SMU, we understand that students work for a variety of reasons. Some students are working to pay tuition and rent, others are working for experience or spending money. Each student is different, and it is part of our mission to help students balance their academic goals, social activities and part-time employment.
SMU utilizes the MustangTRAK (www.myinterfase.com/smu/student) job board to advertise all kinds of work opportunities. Students can search for on-campus jobs, internships, local part-time jobs, and post-graduation career opportunities!
SMU Student Employment
Blanton 119, 214-768-3490
Hegi Family Career Center
Hughes-Trigg 200, 214-768-2266
Federal Work Study:
The Federal Work Study program is a need-based work opportunity. Students who are eligible for FWS can apply for on or off-campus work study jobs, and earn their FWS award as hourly wages.
- Eligibility for the Federal Work study program is based on financial need, determined by the Financial Aid Office each year once a student has submitted a FAFSA. Eligible students will see the Federal Work Study award listed as part of their Financial Aid package (you can review your eligibility by logging into Access.SMU)
- Accepting the FWS award in your financial aid package indicates that you intend to apply for and participate in FWS. Being eligible for FWS does not guarantee you a job, and there is no obligation to participate even after you accept the award.
- A FWS award is not guaranteed - it indicates a student's eligibility to apply for jobs classified as "federal work study". The FWS award is earned as hourly wages, and paid directly to the student via biweekly paycheck.
- Any student job on-campus at SMU can be hired as Federal Work Study (please indicate that you are FWS eligible when you apply). We also have an off-campus Tutoring and Community Service Program open to our FWS eligible students.
How does it work?
Student jobs at SMU (Federal Work Study and non-work study) are Direct Hire - students must apply to each job they are interested in, and will be hired directly by a department.
|Step 1||Apply for jobs on campus|
|Check out "Where can I find a job?"
for links to the jobs database and departmental resources.
If you are having trouble navigating MustangTRAK, or need some help getting started, visit the Student Employment Office (Blanton 119) for assistance!
|make sure your interview skills and resume are up to date and impressive with help from the Hegi Family Career Center! (http://smu.edu/career/students/default.asp)|
|Step 3||Accepting a job|
|Step 4||Go to work!|
Where can I find a job?
There are many resources available to students who are seeking employment during their time at SMU:
- Search for all types of on-campus and off-campus employment including departmental assistantships, library positions, babysitting, local businesses, and more!
- New students (incoming First Years and Transfers) will not have access to the MustangTRAK Job Database until after they have attended AARO and registered for classes
- Once you have enrolled in classes, first time users do not
need to register on MustangTRAK - you can LOG IN using your SMU
Email Address and SMU ID#:
- Returning students who need help with log in information can email email@example.com
- Search tips - use the "Position Type" filter to look for
on-campus jobs, Work Study jobs, and local part-time
- The URA program provides paid opportunities for UG students to work directly with faculty members on research projects - URA positions are available in all disciplines across campus and create valuable hands-on experience for students seeking to further their knowledge outside of the classroom
- URA positions are coordinated directly within each department. You may see some opportunities advertised on MustangTRAK, but the best way to find a URA position is to contact the faculty members in the departments you are interested in working for.
- The URA program is open to all departments and faculty. You may apply for any URA position you are interested in regardless of your major. A URA position will require full engagement... seek out a position that you can invest in and will keep your interest!
- RLSH hires students as desk attendants in each housing facility and also as Resident Assistants
- Application information is online, or call 214-768-2407 more details!
- Dedman Rec has many opportunities for students - some are
advertised on MustangTRAK, others are listed by department:
- SMU Outdoor Adventures - OA Leaders (http://smu.edu/recsports/adventure/employment/default.asp)
- Rec Sports - Personal Trainers (http://smu.edu/recsports/personaltraining/prepcourse.asp)
- Rec Sports - Group Exercise Instructors (http://smu.edu/recsports/groupx/instructorintraining.asp)
- Rec Sports - Aquatics (http://smu.edu/recsports/aquatics/employment.asp)
- SMU Intramurals - Game Officials (http://smu.edu/recsports/intramurals/default.asp)
- Tele-Pony callers reach out to undergraduate and graduate alumni to share updates about SMU. They also call alumni celebrating their Reunion year, as well as parents of current students and recent graduates.
- Apply online (http://smu.thecallingcenter.com/application.php?site=34) or call Emily Kavy (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 214-768-2758 for information about available positions
Off-Campus Work Study Program:
The Off-Campus Tutoring and Community Service Program is administered through Federal Work Study. This program creates partnerships with Dallas area schools and non-profits to put students in paid jobs that benefit the community.
Only students who are eligible for Federal Work study can apply for and participate in the off-campus program.
We partner with Dallas ISD in several local elementary schools, Education Is Freedom in area high schools and middle schools, and multiple area non-profits such as Medisend International, Catholic Charities of Dallas, and Project Transformation. Check out SMU Work Study Partners for a complete list of our contracted partners.
How do I get involved?
- In the fall semester each year we host a Job Fair for our off-campus partners. All eligible SMU Students will receive invitations via email, and can attend to meet agency representatives and apply on the spot!
- Any time during the year you can contact agencies directly (Who We Work With) to inquire about availability and schedule an interview
- Come by or contact the Student Employment Office (Blanton
119, 214-768-3490) with questions about the types of
opportunities at each agency, or general information about how
the program works
- You must contact SMU Student Employment PRIOR to accepting an Off-Campus SMU Work Study job for all appropriate paperwork and approval
- SMU Off-Campus Work Study jobs are still considered SMU student jobs : New Hire paperwork will still be required, and all hours will be paid biweekly through SMU Payroll
Dates to Remember:
July 15-21: Online Job Fair in MustangTRAK
August 11, Saturday: First day Federal Work Study jobs can
August 20, Monday: First day of classes for Fall
August 23, Thursday: Off-Campus Tutoring and Community Service Job Fair in Blanton!
December 14, Friday: Fall only work programs end (last day of work for December grads!)
January 12, Saturday: Spring only FWS Begins (first
eligible day of work for new first year and transfer students!)
January 18, Friday: First day of classes for Spring
April 8 - 14: National Student Employment Week and SMU Student Appreciation
May 3, Friday: FWS Ends
May 8, Tuesday: Last day of Exams
Q. Is there a cutoff for getting an on-campus student job?
A. There is no "deadline" to participate - SMU student positions will be advertised throughout the year, and you can apply at any time. The Federal Work Study program is a fall/spring only program - students can utilize their FWS award at any time during the academic year.
Q. Who determines my hourly wages, and my schedule?
A. Each department determines the hourly wage for a student position and the schedule that student will work (with reasonable accommodations for a student's class schedule).
All jobs on campus pay at least minimum wage ($7.25 per hr) and the wages do vary based on responsibility and skills required. (For example, front desk positions requiring limited skill and interaction would likely start at $7.25, while lifeguarding positions requiring certification would start at a higher wage).
Q. Does Federal Work Study mean that my supervisor has to let
me study at work?
A. "Work Study" refers to a program that creates job opportunities for students so that they can Work and pay for some expenses while they Study (attend college). Some supervisors may allow a limited amount of studying during slow work hours, but this should not be expected. Please check directly with your supervisor regarding expectations.
Q. When does my Federal Work Study award disburse to my
A. It doesn't! Federal Work Study is earned as hourly wages, and is paid directly to you (the student) as a biweekly paycheck.
Q. I'm an international student - is the process different for
A. The basic process is the same. International students can utilize MustangTRAK and all departmental links to apply for on-campus jobs (please note, you are not eligible for Federal Work Study jobs if you are at SMU on an F1 or J1 visa). There will be additional New Hire paperwork to complete, but this will be provided to you by your hiring supervisor.
Q. My friend tutors at an elementary school and gets paid for
it - can I do that too?
A. Possibly! There are several work study opportunities off-campus. FIRST check in with the Student Employment Office (email@example.com, Blanton 119) to make sure you are eligible for Federal Work Study. If you are eligible, we will provide all of the necessary paperwork and details.