The mission of the CUL Mentoring Program is
to encourage the growth and development of CUL employees. The mentoring
program will serve this mission by identifying and matching employees with
mentors who can foster professional development, provide career guidance,
facilitate the integration of the employee into the organization, promote
organizational commitment and increase retention.
GOAL #1: To foster professional
development and provide career guidance.
1. Identify opportunities for professional
development and continuing education.
2. Encourage participation in appropriate
3. Provide coaching in research and publishing
4. Provide guidance for the establishment
and achievement of short-term and long-term career goals.
5. Help prepare employee for evaluation
and promotion processes.
6. Identify opportunities for job sculpting
and job enrichment.
7. Recruit interested paraprofessionals
into the library profession.
8. Develop good communication and leadership
GOAL #2: To facilitate the integration
of the employee into the organization and the university.
1. Share knowledge of organizational and
university culture, operations, and administration.
2. Act as a liaison to key organizational
departments, committees, groups and professional networks.
3. Facilitate interactions with colleagues
beyond immediate working environment and across departments.
4. Supplement departmental orientation
process for new employees.
GOAL #3: To promote organizational
commitment and employee retention.
1. Provide emotional support and encouragement.
2. Provide an alternative line of communication
for issues not comfortably brought to direct supervisor.
3. Act as a sounding board for new ideas
and provide constructive criticism.
4. Develop strategies for managing organizational