CUL Inclement Weather Policy
Originally approved by CUL Leadership Team March 29, 2011
Revised February, 2012
Background: SMU makes a decision regarding holding classes during
inclement weather by 5:30 am for daytime classes and events, and by 3:30
pm for evening classes and events. During recent inclement weather, SMU
administration verified that it views the library as an essential
service. Given this status, core hours, staffing policies, and
notification guidelines for inclement weather follow.
When residence halls are open but SMU classes are cancelled, Fondren
Library Center hours will generally be 8 am – 6 pm.
- When extreme conditions are forecast for overnight hours and SMU
has not made a decision, SRRS and administration may elect to close
Fondren at 9 pm, allowing students and staff to get safely home.
- If the library is open overnight, and a decision to cancel
classes for the day is made by 5:30 am, staff already in the library
(students and security guard) will remain in the building until
staff working from 8am – 6 pm arrive.
- If a decision is made by 3:30 pm to close the university for the
evening, Fondren will close at 6 pm.
- Weekend hours when the university is closed will be 12 pm – 6
- No staff will be required to work if SMU is closed.
- The emergency telephone tree will be used to inform staff of SMU
- SRRS will maintain a list of staff willing to work when SMU is
closed and will telephone volunteers prior to opening. Two permanent
public service staff volunteers will be necessary to keep the
building open and provide basic services; if two staff members are
not available, Fondren Library Center will not open.
- Supervisors are responsible for notifying staff and student
workers who would be affected by changes in hours, early closings,
- Once library core hours are set, they can be included in SMU’s
inclement weather announcement.
- SRRS staff will communicate hours to library IT, who will post
to CUL and Fondren Library Center website.
- The Assistant Dean for Human Resources/Facilities or the
Assistant Dean for SRRS will contact SMU Police (8-3333) and SMU
Facilities Services (8-3494) to confirm that Fondren Library Center
will be open.
Other CUL libraries:
- Only Fondren Library Center will be open during SMU inclement