Semester-Long Study and Storage Options
Individual study rooms at Fondren Library Center and Hamon Arts Library are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to SMU Graduate and Doctoral students. When there is a waiting list, first priority will be given to students working on dissertations and theses.
Short-term group study rooms are also available.
Fondren Library Center
- Assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis to SMU Graduate and Doctoral students. When there is a waiting list, first priority will be given to students working on dissertations and theses
- Located on the 2nd floor of the Science Information Center (see library floor plans)
- Room assignments are handled in the library office, Fondren Library Center east wing, Room #300 (214-768-2401). Rooms may be requested anytime throughout the calendar year but must be renewed annually in August.
- Rooms are assigned to individual students, however if demand requires, rooms can be assigned to two or three students for a period of time. Students should work out a schedule of use between themselves.
- Students are assigned individual keys and a refundable key deposit is required
All study rooms are subject to FLC open hours and policies. No food is allowed, drinks are allowed only in closed container.
Study Carrels with Lockers and Individual Lockers
- Assigned to SMU students, faculty, and staff on a
first-come, first-serve basis
- Carrels with lockers are in the west stacks;
individual lockers are located in the student lounge of the Fondren Basement, across from the vending machines
- Carrels and lockers must be reserved at the circulation desk (214-768-2329). SMU ID is required.
Policies: Only your personal materials and materials that you have checked out from a library should be left in a carrel. Non-circulating library materials or materials not checked out may not be left in the locker. Library staff reserves the right to monitor lockers regularly and will remove materials not checked out or that are non-circulating. Abuse of these library policies may result in loss of carrel/locker privilege.
All materials in lockers will be removed at the end of every Spring semester, if the locker is not renewed for the following summer session.
Hamon Arts Library
Carrels and Study Rooms
Individual carrels and study rooms are available on the second and third floors of the Hamon. These rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis to SMU Graduate and Doctoral students. When there is a waiting list, first priority will be given to students working on dissertations and theses. Unassigned carrels (but not study rooms) may be used on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you have questions about reserving a room, contact LaGail Davis by e-mail or by phone at 214-768-4437.
- Available to SMU students, faculty, and staff.
- Located in first-floor copy room.
- Assigned for one semester or two summer sessions.
- Request forms are available at the Print Circulation Desk.