Southern Methodist University Central University Libraries Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Fondren Library Center

Periodicals Department

Using Microforms

The Microform Area is located on the 1st floor of the Science/Engineering wing. This area is staffed all hours that the library is open, and Periodicals staff are available to help you locate materials and use equipment.

What is a microform

Microform is a generic name used for many types of materials, such as microfilm or microfiche. Microfilm is a long strip of film on a reel. Microfiche is a single sheet of film. The library's collection of microforms includes journal and newspaper back volumes, government documents, and other special collections.

How do I use microforms?

Staff are always available to help you find the materials you need and use the equipment. The library owns microform readers that allow you to view and print from microforms. One of the readers will even allow you to scan microfrom material and email it to yourself!

Can I print from microform?

Yes. The equipment in the microforms area allows you to print. It it $0.10 per page, and you can pay with dimes or with a copy card.

Where can I get dimes for printing?

The Periodicals Office can make change for dimes to be used in microform equipment. We cannot make change for other purposes.


Now open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week
SMU ID required after 9pm

about Fondren Library Center


meet the staff