"Newest addition to the quadrangle is the air-conditioned
Fondren Library. With its opening, a long-felt need
will be filled"
W. W. and Ella Fondren began their family's association with SMU in 1919. Their gift of Humble Oil stock shares in 1935 funded the construction of the Fondren Library. It was completed in 1940 and had most of the characteristics of a library building of that period.
By 1968, Fondren Library, with the largest collection on campus housing materials in the humanities, social sciences and business, had already outgrown its original walls. Once again through the generosity of the Fondren Family and Foundation along with federal assistance as authorized through the Higher Education Facilities Assistance Act, the library was enlarged by a four floor addition to the east end of the building. The west end of the original Fondren Library now houses the DeGolyer Library of Special Collections.
Fondren Library was designated as a selective
federal depository in 1925
and receives approximately 70% of government depository
publications. Fondren Library also offers a state of the
art Assistive Technology
Center . The Information Commons combines traditional
reference assistance with computer lab technology and support
service in an inviting casual environment on the first floor.
Fondren Library is also home to the CUL
Interlibrary Loan Department.
A wide range of user education classes is offered by librarians
in three computer classrooms.
The Science/Engineering Library opened in November 1961, funded by the Texas Instruments, Erik Jonsson, and Eugene McDermott Foundations. The library is located in the north wing of the Fondren Library Center in the northeast corner of the campus. SEL became part of the Central University Libraries in April 1977, and was physically integrated with Fondren Library in November 1998 with the completion of the Fondren Library Center.
The library houses its collections in the natural & physical sciences and engineering subjects along with numerous computer work stations which provide access to the library's various scientific & technical electronic resources. The library is home to large periodicals and microforms collections and reader/printer equipment. The Foscue Map Library is located on the first floor.
Photographs at right: John Messina, 1960, Science Information Center in Dallas brochure