Certain circumstances call for an interim or “off-cycle” check to be issued before the next scheduled pay date. The off-cycle check provision is not to be used as an alternative to submitting payroll information timely.
Criteria An off-cycle check will be processed for one of the following circumstances:
Exclusion: Pay for extra compensation (in addition to base pay) is not eligible to be processed on an off-cycle check, regardless of the amount.
Required Paperwork An off-cycle check request will be considered for payment only after the following documents have been received in Payroll:
Requests A request for an off-cycle check that meets the criteria and is submitted with all appropriate documentation to the Payroll Department by 10:00AM of an off-cycle processing day will be included with that day's off-cycle payroll.
Processing Days The off-cycle payrolls are scheduled to be processed twice a week, on Monday and Thursday.
Note: An individual off-cycle payroll may be temporarily moved to another day of the week to accommodate an SMU holiday or irregular scheduled payroll processing. If an off-cycle payroll is going to be delayed, the person(s) who submitted a request will be notified of the modified check issue date.
Distribution An off-cycle paycheck will be available for pickup at the Payroll Department at 8:30AM on the day after it was processed (Tuesday or Friday). The employee and/or requesting department will be notified when the off-cycle check is ready to be picked up.
* NOTE * Direct deposit is not available for off-cycle payments!
Procedure to Request an Off-cycle Check
1. Determine that the payment meets one of the criteria listed above.
2. Complete the Off-Cycle Check Request Form (open as “Read-Only”).
3. Submit the Off-cycle Check Request Form to Payroll (instructions are on the form).
4. Ensure that Payroll has all necessary pay documents (PAF, TIMEaccess record) to process the payment.