THE WILLIAM PERRY BENTLEY COLLECTION ON PSYCHICAL RESEARCH, PARAPSYCHOLOGY, AND COGNATE SUBJECTS was first established by agreement with Mr. William Perry Bentley in 1965. In 1970 Mr. Bentley furnished complete, bound files of the Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research and other related serial runs. Then, in 1971, he gave his scholarly library of parapsychology to Bridwell Library. The purpose of the collection is to support scholarly and scientific research in the study of psychic phenomena.
THE BRANNIN COLLECTION OF RELIGION IN SOCIAL ACTION was established by Carl and Laura Brannin shortly before the death of Mrs. Brannin in 1965. They specified coverage of contemporary social movements, with an emphasis on biographies of participants. The collection now comprises more than 1,000 volumes focusing on the social movements of the past four decades.
EDICIONES DOS AMIGOS COLLECTION fulfills Bridwell Library's role as official repository for all publications of this outstanding private press of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Highlights include the sumptuously designed masterpiece of the press, Jorge Luis Borges' El Aleph (1998).
THE VIOLET HAYDEN/JOYCE COLLECTION was given to Bridwell Library by Mrs. Violet Hayden Dowell on Bloomsday, June 16, 1971. Its 100 volumes contain most of the jewels of the James Joyce corpus, especially highly limited editions. Particularly noteworthy are his first published pamphlet, The Day of Rabblement (1901); a perfect copy of the first printing of Ulysses (1922), number 40 of the first 100, signed by Joyce; and a signed limited edition of his last work, Finnegan's Wake (1939).
THE GEORGE LEINWALL JAMES JOYCE COLLECTION of over 1,200 separately cataloged Joyce items was purchased with Bridwell Foundation funds in 1977 from Mr. George Leinwall. The collection supplements the Violet Hayden Joyce Collection; together the collections cover practically every major Joyce publication and piece of Joyce criticism.
THE MINGA COLLECTION focuses on the classical concept of poetry as the music of the soul and contains approximately 350 books on poetry, including Mrs. Ann Barcus Minga's own published verse, plus two feet of archival materials. It supports the Bridwell collections in religious poetry.
THE NEW THOUGHT ARCHIVE was established in 1960 primarily as the result of the labors of the late Dr. Charles S. Braden in writing his critical history of the New Thought movement, Spirits in Rebellion: the Rise and Development of New Thought (SMU Press, 1963). The collection includes approximately 800 volumes, as well as several folders of clippings, photographs, and correspondence of the leaders of New Thought.
THE NEW WORLD TO NEW THOUGHT: THE RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE IN AMERICA, a Special Collection in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Donald Curtis, was established by the Leland Fikes Foundation in 1972. Its purpose is to chart the bibliographical steps to religious freedom which have occurred in America, starting with the early colonies and culminating in the religious impulse generally known as New Thought.
THE EVELYN OPPENHEIMER COLLECTION was begun in 1969 as a memorial collection given by Evelyn Oppenheimer, a noted book reviewer who greatly contributed to the literacy of the Dallas community. The collection consists of more than 300 modern first editions and five feet of archival material, including manuscripts and tapes from 1942 to the 1980s.
THE SHETTLES COLLECTION was acquired by both gift and purchase in 1922 from a Methodist minister in Austin, E. L. Shettles. This collection of books and pamphlets focuses on the history of the Methodist Church and comprises numerous Wesley pamphlets, including the earliest editions of some of the writings of the Whitfields and Wesleys.
TE DEUM COLLECTION was established in 1975 by Rev. and Mrs. Carl Knightely as an expression of thanks to God for particular persons designated. This continuing endowment provides books on religious art and architecture and the book arts.
THE VICTORIAN AND EARLY DECORATIVE BINDINGS COLLECTION was donated in 1976 and 1978 by William F. and Barbara L. Holman, distinguished Texas printers, to support Bridwell's collection in the book arts. The nearly 400 volumes in the collection include unique examples of decorative bindings from the Victorian period, when the art of gold stamping was heightened by the commissioning of leading artists to embellish and illustrate books with a flair and taste which has not been equaled in any other period of bookmaking.
THE MILAM WADE COLLECTION and Endowed Book Fund were given by Dallas attorney Milam Wade in 1981. The 1,300 books include rare editions of Shakespeare, John Bunyan, and Bibles.
THE LANCE WEBB LIBRARY OF CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL FORMATION was presented to Bridwell in 1983 by Bishop Lance Webb. It comprises several hundred works dealing with Christian spirituality.
THE JEAN WHITE/HERTZOG COLLECTION was donated in 1978 by Mrs. Carl Hertzog and Mr. and Mrs. W. D. White. The 329 items in the collection represent books designed and printed by Carl Hertzog of El Paso, perhaps Texas' most distinguished printer, as well as ephemeral items with manuscript notations by Mr. Hertzog. The collection is identified by a bookplate designed by Mr. Hertzog.