Keep your Mustang spirit alive
Graduation doesn’t end your relationship with SMU. You’ll have plenty of ways to stay connected to your beloved alma mater, as well as many opportunities to be an important part of keeping its traditions and its hope for the future alive.
You can expect to hear from SMU regularly as we continue fundraising initiatives and begin new projects. Here is a detailed list of communications you can expect from us throughout the year.
June 1 – May 31: SMU’s fundraising cycle – All alumni are scheduled to receive each of the following solicitations during a fundraising cycle. Alumni are removed from solicitations during a fundraising cycle after they have made their gift for that cycle.* A new fundraising cycle begins every June 1.
Example: If an alumnus makes a gift in response to a solicitation s/he receives in September, then s/he will stop receiving solicitations from SMU
until the following June 1. If an alumnus makes a gift on May 31, s/he could receive another solicitation on June 1.
*Mustang Club solicitations run simultaneously with SMU solicitations during the same fundraising cycle. Mustang Club donors will continue to receive SMU solicitations.
*Alumni in their reunion year (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 years from graduation) will receive additional solicitations for their reunion gift.
*Other departments across campus may decide to solicit their alumni for specific needs. Alumni who give in response to these solicitations will be removed from additional solicitations during that fundraising cycle.
General communications alumni can expect to receive from SMU:
- SMU Magazine: Comprehensive SMU coverage – Stay connected with SMU through human interest stories about other alumni, faculty and students. Read class notes to keep in touch with your peers and see the accomplishments of others. Let others know what you’ve been up to as well. Receive one issue each fall and one each spring.
- SMU Connections: Electronic newsletter – Keep up with current news from the Hilltop, test your knowledge of SMU’s history and post photos of you and your family through this interactive e-newsletter. You will receive one every other month.
- Event Invitations: SMU in your backyard – Chapters of alumni exist all over the country. Events are held periodically to unite area alumni through their common SMU connection. Invitations for these events are sent through the mail and via email using the contact information you provide us.
Solicitations to expect in the fall:
- SMU Mailing Labels: Personalized return address labels – These labels are sent with a solicitation letter to all alumni who have not made a gift since June 1. A follow-up letter is sent two weeks later as a reminder. A representative from your class will also send an email with a link to the online giving form for those who prefer the convenience of making a gift online.
- Tax Deadline Reminder: Tax deductible gifts – Many donors make their gifts to SMU prior to December 31 in order to receive the tax benefits for that calendar year. This letter is sent to alumni who have not yet made their gift in the current fundraising cycle. A follow-up email is sent as a reminder for alumni who prefer the convenience of making a gift online.
- SMU Student Phone Call: TelePony – Alumni who have not made a gift in the current fundraising cycle will receive a phone call from a current SMU student. These students and alumni enjoy connecting over a variety of topics and experiences – campus activities, sports, favorite professors, etc.
Solicitations to expect in the spring:
- Letter from your school’s dean: Each school’s dean sends a solicitation letter to alumni who have not yet made their gift in the current fundraising cycle. The letter highlights information about school initiatives and special projects that may be of interest. A follow-up letter from the dean is sent two weeks later as a reminder. A representative from your class will also send an email with a link to the online giving form for those who prefer the convenience of making a gift online.
- SMU Student Phone Call: TelePony – Alumni who have not made a gift in the current fundraising cycle will receive a phone call from a current SMU student.