Frequently Asked Questions
- I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information. They said they were working on a directory for SMU. Is this a legitimate project or is it a scam?
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce our new SMU Alumni Directory. PCI is a Dallas-based company that publishes directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities and military organizations across the nation. This project allows SMU to make important updates to our database which will help us better serve you and our future alumni.
- How do I know my information will only be used for directory purposes?
SMU has a contractual agreement with PCI that states:
a. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI by SMU for the publication of the Directory will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Directory and except as required by court order or law.
b. The Directory will be made available only to SMU alumni. Upon completion of the project, PCI will return any and all electronic files that have been supplied by SMU or produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Directory.
- I would like to verify and update my information. How may I do this?
If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the SMU Alumni Directory project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you and make any updates where needed. SMU alumni can call the following dedicated number to the Directory Project: 1.866.618.8890.
If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information. If you have questions, you may call PCI’s customer service desk at 1.800.395.4724.
To be included in the new SMU Alumni Directory, please send in all updates by January 15, 2014.
- May anyone purchase a directory?
The SMU Alumni Directory is available for purchase only to SMU alumni.
- When will I receive my directory?
The total duration of the directory project is about 12 months. We began the project in June 2013; the directories will be distributed in June 2014.
- May I withhold some or all my information from publication in the directory?
When you call to update your information, you can tell the representative what information you would prefer to have excluded. You may also communicate this information to the PCI customer service desk (1.800.395.4724) or to the Office of Alumni Relations.
- I ordered a directory/package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Call the PCI customer service help desk at 1.800.395.4724, and they will take care of this for you.