The goals of the staff of the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center are:
- to support new students in their transition to the academic culture of the university;
- to assist students in developing comprehensive, advanced reading and learning techniques and in applying these global skills to specific coursework challenges;
- to offer services that encourage students to build confidence in their ability to learn and to overcome the challenges they may confront at SMU;
- to offer services that strengthenand where necessary developthe foundational skills (mathematical literacy, reading, writing, computer literacy, critical thinking) that are central to every student's continued academic success;
- to offer services that support students' pursuit of the institution's most challenging programs of study and mastery of their chosen curricula;
- to ensure that the Center's administrative practices, operating principles, and staff development activities are designed to further the academic well-being of SMU's undergraduates.