Dear DASS students,
Please read the reminders below carefully so your semester will run smoothly as some of our policies may have changed.
- Letters of Accommodation:
- Should be delivered promptly – within one week of their pickup from our office
- Should be delivered privately – do not slide under a door, leave in a mailbox or hand to professors during class. Use office hours or a private appointment to deliver and discuss your accommodation needs with your professor. This will save time and confusion later in the semester.
- Should be delivered in a sealed envelope – letters should not be faxed or emailed.
- Are only valid for the semester printed on your letter. For future semesters, you must pick up letters from our office after requesting them here: http://smu.edu/alec/RequestForLettersForm.asp.
- Testing Accommodations:
- Should be handled by you and the professor whenever possible. Pursue ways to test in or near the classroom with your professor when you deliver the letter.
- Require advance notice to your professor to use. Faculty expects 7 days’ advance notice for each time you intend to use testing accommodations.
- Testing at DASS:
- Is possible if all other options have been pursued with your professor and your professor approves you to test at DASS.
- Is not possible for computer-based tests using Blackboard, Excel or other formats.
- Requires 4 to 7 days’ advance notice to DASS if those arrangements are approved in advance by your professor. No exceptions are allowed.
- Is not considered finalized until you have provided all required information to our office within the required notice period.
- Requires a completed DASS Test Proctoring Form. This form is sent to your professor 2-3 days before your test at DASS. He/She must complete it and send the test to us before your scheduled time. You are responsible for making sure your professor sends the needed documents and is aware of your plan to test at DASS.
- Means being punctual for your test proctoring appointments. If you choose to arrive late to DASS, no extra time will be added to your testing time period. If you arrive more than 20 minutes late, you will be sent to the classroom to take the test. Requires adherence to all instructions provided by the test proctor and DASS policies. You jeopardize your ability for future testing at DASS if you ignore proctor instructions or DASS policies.
- Only after receiving faculty approval, students may book final exams at DASS for Spring, 2013 from 3/25/2013 to 4/23/2013. Final exams may not be booked before or after these dates. Space for final exams at DASS is limited; appointments are booked in date order.
DASS students are expected to review the DASS bi-weekly email newsletter (AccessAbility) to stay up to date on deadlines, scholarships, and other relevant issues. Remember to use all available resources to help you succeed – LEC tutors, professor office hours, academic coaching, study skills workshops. The reverse side of this sheet offers other helpful reminders. If you encounter difficulties with any professor regarding your disability-related needs, please contact your DASS Coordinator for assistance.
We wish you the best this semester!
The DASS Team